Rudder tiller Project 

It is ready! the rudder worked perfectly but it didn’t look so good and I thought that I had extra time on my hands so I made it better.​

img_4020-1img_4021-1img_4024-1img_4965-1img_4084-1

Above you’ll see the starting point. It looked worn out but it was healthy teak underneath the surface.

img_4099-1

After the sanding it looked good. I didn’t like the black aluminium autopilot thing so I made a new one from teak.

 

img_4876-1

I joined the autopilot thing with long sturdy screws and epoxy. I will not brake.

img_4883img_4886img_4885img_4905

 

More layers of varnish and some sanding between the layers.

 

img_4962img_4973

After eight layers of varnish I am starting to feel satisfied. The varnish I used was Epifanes.

img_5015img_5016img_5020img_5018

And here is the end result! Tadaa!

img_5031

 

Splicing the genoa Halyard

I was working with the genoa and noticed something weird in the halyard splice. It felt empty and when I looked more precisely I noticed that it was spliced only with the cover of the rope.

It had lasted pretty well, but I wanted to fix it better.

  • img_4912

    Fu#%! First time trying halyard splicing. I learned a few things, example you should remember to put the shackle in the loop before finishing the job… 😬(or make a bigger loop for attaching the shackle later…)

  • With the second try I managed to make it good.img_4918

Seasons first trip: Vallisaari

E 2ms, PP, -1c, 6nm, MSVK-Vallisaari-msvk 

Although it was freezing cold we did a small trip with the boat just to check that does everything work. 

Near Helsinki there is an old military island called vallisaari. It opened to the public last year. In the summer you can visit it with public boat transfer, but at the moment it’s still kind of closed and empty. 

We were alone in there today and ate some korvapuusti and drink coffee.

It was nice!


Above you’ll see pictures from the same spot. Last year pic was taken one month later than this years. Difference is noticeable. 

It was peaceful and beautiful, but it’s even more beautiful at summer. But it can be pretty crowded sometimes. 


Weather was interesting, meanwhile it was snowing and sun was shining. It felt like summer is coming.

Easter bunnies and flying sailboats

Our kid is helping me while I put some paint under the keel.

Finally it was time to put it in water! 

Our boat was the first from this winter docking area which was raised away. So it had to be lifted over another boat and some bushes. Happily the crane operator was a skilled professional so there was no dramas. 

It is still pretty uncrowned in the harbor, only 3 sailboats in water. 

Everything went well and engine started right away. Tomorrow I will do some major cleaning and rigging!

Painting and waxing and messing up the fresh paint

This weekend it was time to put antifouling paint to the bottom of the boat. It wasn’t too warm but adding some thinner helped the job.

While the paint dried I decided to try some waxing. It went pretty well but I managed to wax some fresh antifouling paint in the waterline and it was a pain in the ass to clean. But the end result worth the sweat, it turned out beautiful! The boat looks like new.

Speaking of pain in the ass. I also decided to change the old anchor light. It could have been fixed with a drop of crc and tape, but that would have been to simple.

I checked that this is an easy job with just unscrewing of two screws and putting a new light replacing the old worn one.

Ok, first screw was pretty easy. Some crc and force to open the screw which was stainless steel from the aluminum masthead.

Second screw was a #%***#! It snapped apart from the base without leaving any screw to open it with pliers or anything. After some bad language and thinking I decided to drill a new hole in the middle of the old snapped screw. I actually didn’t believe that would work but apparently I had some skills or good luck and I managed to make a new hole for the screw.

Of course I also had to measure and cut two new screws because the first old screw was bent and second was snapped.

Next time I shall use tape and crc… (probably this version is going to last at least 25 years though.)

New screws for the anchor light

Primer time

Today it was time to add another layer of varnish for the tiller and a little bit of primer paint to couple of spots in boat bottom.  Maybe I’m being too precise and fiddle but now I know that the bottom is perfect. 

I hope tomorrow is warm enough for antifouling painting.

For reminder: I’m going to use Hempel’s Hard Racing XTRA, color: penta grey. (Last owner used hempel’s glide speed, and this paint replaces the glide speed which isn’t available anymore.) 

Teak tiller renewal pt.1

Shitty weather continues. So I have to carry on trying to find something to do inside.

The steering tiller started to show some wear and looked old. I thought that let’s see what we could do about it. I noticed that the wood is high quality teak and there wasn’t any reason to change it for a new one. It was only visual thing. Some sanding later it seemed like a new one. I think I’m going to put a multiple layers of  varnish on top of it. The autopilot attachment thing doesn’t look too good either… Let’s see what we can do about it.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.